© Raul Pedroso
Sears Tower Restoration at Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts
The former Sears, Roebuck and Company Department Store was built in 1929 and is commonly referred to as the Sears Tower. The building is one of the earliest examples of the Art Deco style in Miami-Dade County and predates the structures within Miami Beach’s Art Deco District. Because of its historic significance, the tower section has been preserved and incorporated into Caesar Pelli’s Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts design. It serves both as a functional and visual anchor to a large elliptical public plaza that extends across Biscayne Boulevard. In addition to restoring the tower, RJHA was responsible for incorporation a cafe on the tower’s ground level.