© Raul Pedroso
Vizcaya Museum & Gardens East & West Gate Lodges
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens was built between 1913 and 1916 as one of the country’s finest private residences, inspired by the Italian villas along the Mediterranean coast. Recently designated as a National Historic Landmark, the museum and gardens are now open to the public as a visitor’s attraction. The original complex comprised of a group of service buildings designed to resemble an Italian farm village including a garage, dairy building, mule stable, chicken coop, Blacksmith Shop, East and West Gate Lodges and staff residence. Having been abandoned for many years, RJHA fully restored the East and West Gate Lodges buildings to be used as administrative offices. These once grand entrance monitoring structures have been brought back to functional use, at the same time that their original architectural beauty has been returned to harmonize with the rest of this major historic complex and tourist attraction.