Home  
 
      
 
 
 
 
Capitol Theatre
Clearwater, FL
The Capitol Theatre is one of the first and most significant cultural and entertainment centers from the early days of the city of Clearwater, Florida. It was completed in 1921, designed in an elaborate Mediterranean Revival style by well noted local architect Lester Avery. The theatre opened to great fanfare, and became a popular venue for silent movies and live road show Vaudeville performances. During the course of the years the theatre changed to all movies, but remained a main fixture for entertainment in Clearwater. RJHA, along with Fowler Associates Architects, Inc., were retained to prepare plans for the restoration of the Capitol Theatre. The proposed plan calls for exterior restoration and interior reuse of both the Capitol Theatre and the Clearwater Evening Sun building. The exterior of both structures will be fully restored, returning them to their original historical appearance. The interior of the former newspaper building will be adapted to be used as entry lobby, concessions and restrooms on the first floor. The second floor will contain a donor’s lounge, catering kitchen and offices. The theatre’s interior will be entirely retrofitted with all the functional requirements necessary for live performances up to modern standards, including all new rigging, lighting, sound systems and seating. The stage house and the basement will be expanded, to include an orchestra pit, dressing rooms, storage, and mechanical rooms.There are enough remaining architectural elements of the historic theatre’s interior to allow for a reconstruction of the original feel and character of the glory days of the Capitol Theatre.
PDF Version
   
 
 
     
 
Tel. 305.446.7799 contact@rjha.net All Right & Reserved By - RJHA A Professional Association - AAC001513
 
Login Home